By: Kat Boogaard for The Muse, Photo by Marlon Lara on Unsplash
Picture this: You’ve been dealing with chronic back pain for years, and you’ve finally decided to go in for surgery to get it taken care of.
Your doctor is honest: The recovery is going to be pretty brutal. It’s going to take a long time (we’re talking several months) for you to feel remotely back to normal. Sitting at your desk five days a week is going to be next to impossible while you’re bouncing back.
Your mind is already cranking through all of the numbers to figure out how much money you’ll lose out on. How are you supposed to cover your expenses when you’re physically unable to work for that period of time?
This is one of many situations when it’s helpful to understand whether or not you have a short-term disability benefit—as well as how it works.
- What Is Short-Term Disability?
- Who Provides Short-Term Disability Insurance?
- What Counts as a “Disability”?
- Is Mental Health Covered With Short-Term Disability?
- How Much Time Off Do You Get With Short-Term Disability?
- What If You’re Still Not Ready to Go Back to Work?
- How Much Will You Get Paid When You Take Short-Term Disability?
- How Often Will You Receive Payments?
- How Do You File for Short-Term Disability?
- How Much Paperwork Is Involved?
- What Evidence Do You Have to Provide to Collect Short-Term Disability?
- Does Maternity Leave Count as Short-Term Disability?
- Is Your Job Protected While You Take Short-Term Disability?
- What’s it Like to Return to Work After Short-Term Disability?
- What Are Your Options If Your Short-Term Disability Claim Was Denied?
- Seriously, Do You Really Need to Understand Your Short-Term Disability Benefits?